If you already have spent years enjoying outdoor barbecue grills and parties, then you probably know the different types of outdoor barbecue grills along with their advantages and disadvantages. Still we get a lot of questions which I hope to answer below.
Also, if you are just planning to start having an outdoor barbecue party without prior experience, then you are probably confused to find out that there are different types of outdoor barbecue grills to choose from when you visit your local store or search the web. With this regard, I want to help you identify the different types of outdoor barbecue grills along with their strengths and weaknesses.
To begin with, there are 3 major types of outdoor barbecue grills. These are the natural gas or propane gas grills, charcoal and electric outdoor barbecue grills. These types are categorized mainly by the difference of their fuel source.
Natural Gas or Propane Gas Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- Propane or natural gas barbecue grills are very easy to light on.
- It reaches the desired heat temperature very fast.
- It is easy to control the amount of gas in the barbecue grill using a knob.
- You can monitor the heat through a built-in thermometer.
- Easy to clean without the trouble of ashes.
- Preserve the meat juices because it only requires small amount of time to cook the meat.
- Grills are durable.
- Environmental and health friendly.
- The most expensive type of outdoor barbecue grill.
Charcoal Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- It can be used with ease and simplicity.
- It is very affordable.
- Combine with a lighter fluid, it is easy to light and the heat is uniform.
- Provides the traditional grilling experience.
- Meat grilled in charcoal barbecue grills lacks the clean meat flavor, but has a coal flavor which also many love.
- Charcoal contains many fillers, additives and binding agents which alter the taste of the meat.
- Releases carbon monoxide which is not good for the environment and health.
Electric Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- Does not require you to stock up fuel supplies.
- Does not leave any mess in the grilling area.
- Can be turned on and off easily with a switch.
- Easy to clean mostly by just wiping it.
- Portable and compact.
- No toxic fumes released therefore it is environment and health friendly.
- Can be used indoors.
- Can be used anytime and any season.
- Not really suited for outdoors because of the power supply.
- Cannot give the smoky flavors unless you buy the expensive ones with the advanced features.
If you are wondering for the smoker grill, any of these three types can have a smoker feature depending on the model of the outdoor barbecue grill.
I cannot say that one of them is the best because these outdoor barbecue grills are created to meet the needs of people with different lifestyles. All you need to do is determine which aspect do you prefer most. Is it convenience, affordability, flavor or healthy.
Once you know what you need, you can determine which of these types is the best outdoor barbecue grill for you. Happy grilling!