A disposable barbecue grill is to blame for causing a Monday morning house fire, Victoria Fire Marshal Ron Pray said.
The fire occurred about 3 a.m. in the 600 block of McCormick Drive in the Western Hills subdivision of Nursery.
Homeowner Deborah Roberts said the family had been barbecuing with the grill around 7 p.m. the night before.
“That was the first time I ever tried it,” said Roberts. “The first and the last.”
She continued, “We put water on the coals, but somehow it came back alive.”
Roberts said she and her 24-year-old daughter, Melissa, were alerted to the fire when a neighbor tapped on their windows.
Pray said the home sustained about $2,000 to $2,500 worth of smoke and fire damage.
Roberts said the family had no insurance.
No one was injured during the fire.
Although this is the first fire stemming from a barbecue grill this summer in the county, Pray said disposable grills do have a high potential to cause a fire.
“These little aluminum grills are only a metal tray with some coals,” Pray said. “They are not really as sturdy as a typical barbecue grill or a Hibachi.” – Victoria Advocate